Church History

McCabe Memorial Baptist Church had its beginnings in May 1939, as a Sunday School, meeting in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Charles B. Amos.  Roselawn Development Corporation gave land for a building site on Clearview Drive and on Saturday, October 21, 1939, men of the Sunday School erected a tabernacle in one day, which became known as “The One Day Church.”

In January of 1940, an organizational meeting was held and the Northside Baptist Church was constituted with 88 charter members.  The Rev. V. P. Locke, member of First Baptist Church of Martinsville, was called as the first pastor.

 In 1942, the first of the present buildings was built and the name was changed to the McCabe Memorial Baptist Church, to honor Dr. J. P. McCabe, long-time pastor of the First Baptist Church of Martinsville.  Dr. McCabe gave of his time and resources to this church and many other churches in the area.